Cover Letter

This is my Cover letter for Project Fish

Edwin Nicholson

201/3 Tweed Street

Appleby

Invercargill 9812 

New Zealand

+64221321406

masterednicholson@gmail.com


25 February 2021

Dear Hiring Agent/s for Project Fish

I am writing this letter to apply for a role as the VFX Director of your animated short film Ugly Fish Dinner.

I can bring relevant skills and insight to the VFX Director role as I have had experience with VFX. In 2020, I was the Director and VFX Director of the student composite film Fog of Keening, which required a lot of special effects.

During this production I learned how to use Adobe After Effects, following a range of tutorials and through trial and error. I would like to learn more about VFX and this would be the perfect opportunity to do so.

Fog of Keening had to go through many iterations before it was a finished product. I am determined and willing to go through many times with the VFX team to give you a definitive product that you are happy with.

This year I am currently a student at Southern Institute of Technology studying my third year in Bachelor of Screen Arts in animation. I also acquired a Certificate of Applied Arts (2017) and a Diploma in Animation (2019 & 2020).

During my years of study to date I have gained skills and knowledge of software packages including Autodesk Maya, Autodesk Mudbox, Adobe Audition and Audacity. I have also honed my creative and problem-solving skills, improved my time management and learned the importance of developing effective work pipelines to meet deadlines.

For six years I have worked as a Kitchen Hand at the Manapouri Lakeview Motor Inn as well as a year working as a bar assistant. At the Motor Inn I have learned many useful skills including the importance of communication when working in a team environment, the ability to work well under pressure, and to adapt to the changing demands of the role. I am now looking for a new field of work to further my work experience in the screen industries.

In support of my application I have attached a copy of my CV. It shows that I will bring important skills to the position. Including:

  • Communication / Teamwork
  • Ability to work under pressure
  • Creativity
  • Ability to adapt to situations
  • Determination to finish a job
  • Time Management
  • Knowledge and ability to use Adobe Products


My portfolio has also been attached to this letter.

I would enjoy having the opportunity to discuss my application with you and what I can bring to Ugly Fish Dinner.

Thank you for considering my application. I look forward to hearing from you. 

Yours sincerely,

Edwin Nicholson


Comments